Saturday, January 8, 2011

Meet Shela Barthelemy-Student Midwife

My name is Shela Barthelemy. I am 23 years and I am from across the river from Jacmel. I am a very strong young Haitian woman. I want to work to find money, I have a lot on my plate now I had four sisters but I lost three sisters in the earthquake and my one brother is very sick now, close to death. I have been taking care of myself all the time, my father died when I was 10 years old and my mother lives in the Dominician Republic. MHI is helping me in my life so much and I thankful for this.


I want to congratulate the clinic for the care it give the women in pregnancy. I am very thankful for Clare Loprinzi for giving me the opportunity to learn about midwifery and English. I am in school taking English every day now so that I can translate in the clnic. Before I came to MHI I was already thinking that I would like to learn to become a Fanm Sage (midwife). I have had this thought since I was in third grade, but I did not have the money to go to school to learn this skill. When I came to MHI to accompany my sister in law was in labor, I was watching everything the midwives were doing during labor and helping as much as I could. When the midwives noticed how eager I was to learn, they asked if I would want to come regularly to learn and volunteer with the other midwives. I was so happy because my dream of becoming a midwife is coming true. And now I also have the opportunity to learn English. I am very excited for my future. I can’t believe that I get to live out my passion and that is to help women and babies.

I believe in this work so much, I would like to see that everyone is very serious about the care we give at the clinic.

No comments: