Monday, August 2, 2010

A reflection from Volunteer Melinda

A beautiful talented skilled group of midwives had made their way here and we are forming a strong team already! Everyone is busy at work. Friday our last prenatal consultation day of the week went as usual. Many Moms came into our care for the first time, most hear about us through friends that have given birth with us in the previous months and hear about the good care we give. I often ask Moms why they are choosing to birth with us and the answer is always the same, you are kind, patience and give good care. I spent time with a mom for a consultation and she was amazed at how much time I took to ask her questions and help her along. Our reputation is spreading! Women are looking for other options than what has been available. My heart breaks when I hear moms say things like, “I would have come here sooner if I had known you were so kind and gentle”. It makes you wonder what their past experiences have been and makes me want to cherish and support them all the more! These women deserve the dignity, respect and love that we foster in the clinic setting. It makes me so thankful to be here helping to create a new standard of how women need to be treated and cared for during pregnancy, birth and beyond.

As a write we have a Mama in labor up at the dome. Last time I was up there, I poked my head in the room to see her and as I stole a glance I watched her rise with a mighty contraction and reach out for her midwife’s hand to hold. The bond that they have going can’t be stopped by language, culture, time and place, the bond is one of trust and security. It is beautiful to watch how quickly this can happen, how quickly two people who are complete strangers and then through a couple of hours of pain and progress, a bond is built between the one wanting support and the one wanting to give her support. Birth brings women together in a beautiful way.

Volunteer Melinda McLaren

©2010 Mother Health International

No comments: